[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 561: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 617: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 1065: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 370: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5312: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
One Dark Night {Dresden} - Last Resort
by: Dresden Faust
He'd arrived at the Hogs Head about 15 minutes early. Fernsby had left him just enough time to check on Milo and make sure he was going to be ok. By the time he'd penned a quick note saying he'd had to step out if was already half-past the hour. A quick apparition later had him in familiar surroundings though the place of the meeting wasn't one he'd ever went out of his way to go to. But Dres had a part to play tonight whether he wanted to or not, so he quickly made his way to the designated meeting location. Once inside he cast a quick glance at the crowd before grabbing a table and ordering a stiff drink in an attempt to calm frazzled nerves. The professor had no idea who he was meeting nor any description to help himself out so he settled into wait.

At least it appeared he wouldn't have to wait long. It could only have been ten or so minutes before a man approached with the familiarity of someone who might have been a friend, and slid into the open chair across from him. Dres greeted the man he could only assume was going to be his handler though his eyes narrowed slightly at the jab about drinking on the job. If he could have slapped the grin off the mans face he probably would have but common sense ruled out. "Beggars didn't get to be choosers," he though absently to himself even as the other man offered his arm for a, much to friendly for the professors taste, handshake. He left the man hanging there before eventually clasping the man's forearm to complete the motion and flashed his own grin. "Good thing we aren't on the clock yet then, hmm."
Small talk. Great. Something he didn't overly care for on a good day never mind one like tonight. Dres supposed it could be worse and it made sense if the man across from him wanted to make sure they weren't drawing any unnecessary attention. But what to tell the man... had Anne filled him in on Renn? On Milo? On himself? Merlin he needed to relax or this was never going to work. The professor took a sip of his drink before answering.

"Well enough considering the circumstances. Left me a bit on the unprepared side in finding a place to stay over summer but I worked that out eventually. Though lack of job security has left things a bit... stressful." His tone was a bit clipped but there was nothing the professor could do about it. He wasn't friends with the man across from him... Honestly Dres hadn't given job security any thought. He had enough money stashed away from research projects he was certain he could take care of Renn and Elise for quite some time before he'd actually have to go looking seriously. It was hard not to drum his fingers on the table, a nervous tick he picked up and tended to display itself when he was annoyed. To stop himself he simply held onto his glass for the time being.
It was hard not to snap right back at the man when he told him to relax. What the bloody hell did he think the professor was trying to do? As vexing as it was he wasn't offened as much as he should have been at the call out. Dres let out a slow breath and attempted to lean back with a comfortable looking slouch, as if he were out with Milo or Gideon at somewhere they'd usually hang out when time afforded them the luxury to do so.

"Yes well as much as you want me to simply relax it isn't always possible for me, especially in a place such as this." He kept his tone as friendly as he could, again as if he were simply chatting with one of his colleagues. " I've had a rather rough day and unless you are going to tell me to simply go home, I doubt any solution you propose is going to ease any feelings I have in regard to the current situation I've found myself in. So if you are asking me how my day went lets just say it was fine and dandy. Now if you want to have a friendly chat between mates it would be nice if I knew said mates name?"

To Dres what he said made sense. The man wanted him to relax but if that was the true goal everything was currently working against them. Honestly Dres couldn't remember the last time he went to an actual bar/pub for drinks with anyone let alone someone he didn't know. In fact the last time he'd tried he'd run into that son-of-a-bitch Eric and that had landed them in Azkaban for the night... The professor had to suppress a shudder at that thought and he brought his drink to his lips for another sip. He then set the glass down on the table and clasped his hands loosely together, resting them on his stomach.
Gid. Gideon. The friend he was going to absolutely murder if they all made it out of this mess alive. He gave Beau -- well at least he had a name now to go with the face -- with a look that was normally reserved for friends that had just done something unexpected or for people he thought just spouted off something exceptionally stupid. Drink more? Really? That was Beau's solution. There wasn't enough alcohol in the world that was going to make this task easier... and Dres didn't think getting blitzed was going to help either. He needed a clear head, not one that was clouded. On the same coin maybe another would get him to a point where Beau would start telling him what the hell he was supposed to pull this off.

He downed the rest of his drink before returning to the semi-relaxed posture he'd adopted but made no more to order a refill. If his handler wanted him in a right chipper mood it'd be on his coin.

"As far as I know only his close friends call him that..." With the admission the professor felt most of the fight leave him, at least for the time being. He new he needed help and if this man was going to sort of give it to him then Dres knew he had to play nice. The sooner they got on with things the sooner he could leave and that would put everyone in a more agreeable mood.
"Yeah I do, and like I said earlier I've had a rough day." He hoped that would infer enough that he wasn't here by choice but Dres still thought it was odd that Beau said he was surprised the professor was here. Clearly they hadn't told his handler everything that had happened... meaning things were going to be moving at a fairly rapid pace. Damn it! That left little wiggle room for figuring out how to tip Gid off without being found out. So fixated on that thought the professor was it didn't even register that the barmaid had taken his glass and would be bringing a refill. Dres was pulled form his thoughts by Beau's next question.

"Honestly I have no idea... I've been very adamant that I want nothing to do with whatever the hell he has himself involved in so if I just ask him about it or owl him he'll want to know why the sudden change of heart... he's been able bloody read me like an open book for as long as I can remember so I doubt I could flat out lie to him..." Dres looked over at Beau and any sense of fake happiness he'd shown earlier was replaced with worry. If he flat out lied Gid would know. If he tried to hid what was going on Gid would know and that blasted idiot would pry until Dres wither killed him or spilled... Merlin where was that woman with his drink?
The professor reached up to pinch the bridge of his nose, something he often did when exasperated or frustration set in while he thought. Up until now, no, there hadn't been anything that would have given Dresden cause to even remotely say he was unhappy with the government since in all honesty, he'd been happy enough with the way things were going to not feel the need to ruffle the status quo. Sure he might have told Gideon that he didn't care for the idea of slavery and wished it was gone but not enough to actively get involved. The professor had preferred to keep his head in the sand and go about his business except for the odd time Gid had gone off and come back injured. Even then Dres preferred the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy and for the most part, outside of a few instances where his friend had gone stupid, Gid had never brought up S.A.V.I.O.R. at all.

"That's the tick now isn't it. Until earlier today I had no reason to be unhappy with the government. In all honesty I was happy with how things were going. Sure there were a few mild things like I don't know, leaving the school open while a suicidal vampire roamed its halls or you know that whole slavery nonsense, but you can't tell me I'm the only one with those feelings." Dres willed his mouth to shut right then an there because he knew his temper was rising and he was quickly reverting into the snappish professor that had first started this conversation.
Maybe Beau was right. If he could treat the scenario with the same clinical detachment he used when doing research papers he still might make it out of this. Right now it was even obvious to the professor that he was thinking with his heart and not his head, which he had figured would have been what normal people did when feeling threatened. However the situation was not normal, so logically it couldn't be treated that way.

What was the most surprising to the professor was the cover story Beau all but spelled out. With his head the right frame of mind everything the man was saying made sense and was true enough that Gideon would probably buy it, even if it seemed to come out of left field, it wasn't so far off that it would be questioned. He looked over at his handler before acknowledging what the man had said with a slightly surprised "Oh..." Merlin did Dres ever feel stupid for not seeing that.... even if it was going to be used to essentially infiltrate and turn in his best mates rebel group the professor knew he should have at least thought of that angle.

Dresden took the drink and downed a good portion of it before returning the glass to the table. "Alright I concede that would probably work... will work but what do I do then? What's the timeline?"
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Page 1 of 2
  • 17 posts
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Under a Cursed Moon (open)

Klaus was in more pain than he was willing to shar[…]

TBD

"I suppose I can't convince you stop stalking[…]

Kids In America - AU Digimon

https://i.imgur.com/JX0p7SI.png[…]

https://files.jcink.net/uploads/fod[…]

AFFILIATES:

Use PHP in HTML files
RPG-D Relashio! Black Sun Rising