by: Julian Winslow
March 25, 2012
6:25 p.m.

To say he'd been surprised at the fairly fast response to his letter was an understatement. Quite frankly Julian though Casey would have just ignored the patronus considering he had to get Delilah to send it. Obviously it had left an impression since earlier that morning Casey had asked where exactly in London he'd be. In no short order Del had sent off a response for the man to meet near the cathedral in Southwark later this evening. even factoring in the time difference Julian figured Casey would be able to manage it. There was a little magical community that specialized in sort of a black market-esque trade. Julian was certain the only reason it was still standing was because the government was benefiting in some way but he wasn't about to complain. He'd be able to get some of the higher end scribing materials he needed to repay Devi for the polyjuice supply... and Merlin that hadn't come cheap.

So it was that Julian found himself leaning on a guardrail across the street from said church and had settled in to watch muggles and magical folk go about there business. He had on a light grey jacket, a worn pair of blue jeans and trainers, and of course the fedora he often wore. It would make it easy for Casey to pick him out of a crowd while still giving the ability to blend in with the surroundings. The materials list he had, while not overly lone, was going to definitely take a bit of time to procure. A perfect amount of time to gauge where he stood with dear ol' dad and come up with a way for the man to trust him enough to let him in otherwise he was going to need a plan b. Nothing like a challenge huh?
by: Casey Winslow
Casey had seen an attempt to get away from Lucy's makeshift infirmary and he had taken it, plain and simple. Julian had dangled the carrot and he had bitten. Hell, Lucy had bitten. Casey liked to think she wouldn't have let him go if she had had any medical reason to keep him, so clearly he had to be doing well enough. The first few steps had reminded him of his injury, but he could move without much impediment. After all, both Lucy and Seren had had a hand in his healing and, thanks to magic, the sort of injury which took weeks to heal only took hours. Lucy had urged him to be careful. He'd said goodbye and begun the long series of carefully laid out apparation plans, more than a little nervous.

Now that he was safely on solid ground within London, Casey's main concern was how tonight was going to go. Julian wanted to be trusted, and frankly, Casey had no one he could really ask about Julian before the meeting time thanks to the large time difference and the time he'd had to take to safely return overseas. Kara and Kyle might hold answers due to their proximity to him at the Safe House, but how could he consult with so little time? He couldn't, and whether it was deserved or not, Casey couldn't help but wonder if Julian had planned it that way on purpose.

Still, Casey had made it to St. George's Cathedral and was seated in a pew near the back. He figured it was acceptable given the fact Sunday evening mass was in process and he and Julian needed to be able to slip in and out without being noticed by too many. He found himself looking over the bulletin with mild interest. They were singing right now. It sounded peaceful, yet Casey felt awkward being near this place while it was in session. Hopefully Julian would arrive soon.

((I guess they give out bulletins at Catholic churches for mass? I've only ever attended a funeral at a Catholic church and typed out a wedding ceremony...))
It was hard not to laugh when he noticed Casey enter the cathedral. That was not exactly what he'd meant when he said meet near said building. Though Jules supposed he shouldn't have expected any different since he hadn't been specific in where they should meet. At least with evening mass going on there would be enough cover they could move relatively easy and unnoticed. Julian opted to wait a few more minutes before following. It was odd to think back in his own time that this very church and the area around it was nothing but a pile of rubble.

The walk inside made him uneasy. He'd never been a church going guy ever and if anything the future proved that gods didn't exist anyway. Only monsters. But right now, he needed to not be a monster, so Julian balled up all the feelings of hate and anger and buried them deep for the time being. It didn't take him to overly long to make his way to the pews. Eyes that were used to searching out contacts or friendlies scanned the crowed for anything that seemed amiss before wandering over the back pews. Ah there he was. The man of the hour.

Jules slid into the open spot next to Casey with a small grin. "You know last time I saw this place it was nothing but a pile of rubble... Good to see you. Honestly didn't think you'd come." Merlin he was bad at conversations. especially with people he didn't care about. Good thing that was almost the norm when dealing with his dad. Awkward. He could do awkward.
Casey looked at Julian and offered a meager smile of his own. It was difficult to grin when he was uncertain what tonight would bring, but to simply look at Julian grim-faced seemed wrong. Julian was his flesh and blood even if he wasn't certain whether he could trust him. Trust... such a small word yet a huge concept, and he had no idea what would lead to him trusting Julian. It hadn't helped that they had avoided contact for so long. He knew Julian and Delilah had claimed to have a mission to conduct, yet why now? Why would Julian suddenly want to be let in once and for all after months of no-contact? It was suspicious. Even Julian had to see that.

At Julian's opening words, Casey rose a brow. It was an odd thing to say, yet he supposed it would stand out to someone. "Shame. It's beautiful," Casey replied. Even if he didn't buy into the whole Christianity thing himself, he had to admit that the architecture was stunning and interesting. The music was even gorgeous. "I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to," Casey added. It was the truth. He might have been able to get his wand and get free without Lucy letting him go, but it would've been a hell of a lot more difficult.
He returned Casey's meager smile with a small one of his own. It didn't surprise the younger man that his dad probably decided to come as a last minute kind of thing, it seemed to be his typical m.o. as of late. Either or it didn't matter. Obviously something in the message he'd sent had gotten through which meant on some level Casey still cared and wanted this to work or he as here to end it. Both were fine options in Julian's mind and no matter what way things went, hopefully he'd still come out on top.

It didn't take a genius to see Casey was either nervous, cautious, or some combination of both. It was almost radiating off the man in waves even if it wasn't intentional. So the real question was how to broach the subject he wanted to bring up... It wasn't like he could flat out say he wanted in... that had worked in the message but Jules wasn't naive enough to think it would be that cut and dry. Maybe he could play it off as a plea for help... if he could feed Casey enough truth to get the man interested and talking, that might thaw the ice between them enough that it would seem less out of the blue.

"Sorry about the rough message... but it was the only way I could think of to get you to meet with me. I tried getting the Order to help me track you down but as per norm they don't want anything to do with me. Long and short though is I need your help... something big is about to go down and I don't think anyone's even remotely prepared to deal with it."

He paused there for a minute or two as the choir began to sing again. "We can talk here if you want or, walk and talk... I need to pick up a few things eventually and there's a market near... up to you."
"Let's walk," Casey said, standing. He'd been too cooped up in that bed, too inactive compared to usual. He always liked to do, to move, to work toward something. It was a way of life for him after years at war. Besides, conversations while walking were a lot easier. You could hide reactions, pace your responses. When sitting down, it was difficult to hide if one truly wanted to. It gave Julian an advantage to be walking, especially if he wasn't being honest; however, Casey was here to listen and do more than necessarily believe his son. After all, Julian had already admitted the Order wanted nothing to do with him. Casey doubted it had anything to do with Julian's relation to him. Kara was smart. Markus was smart. So was Kyle and Damien and the myriad of others he imagined were still cooped in the safe house. Casey couldn't help but think the Order was dead despite Kara's best intentions and efforts. As a Phoenix, it may yet rise again from the ashes, but thus far, it hadn't succeeded.

Casey pushed the side door to the foyer open only enough to go through and waited for Julian to catch up before heading to the door that lead out of the building. "I'm listening, though. Go on."
Julian didn't even bother to hide the sigh of relief when Casey agreed to walk. Well that was one good thing he could chalk up as a positive. The lasts thing he'd wanted to do was sit around all day in some muggle church for no other reason than to work Casey over... for some reason that thought had unsettled the Death Eater. So when Casey stood and moved out to the foyer he followed and when the man said he was still listening as they exited Julian felt a glimmer of something. It was there and gone in an instant and Jules couldn't have explained the feeling if he wanted to but deep down he had to wonder if maybe their relationship wasn't so far gone as he'd first thought. But where to start? In order to fan the little spark of whatever it was Julian knew he was going to have to give more than he'd normally be willing, but in this scenario he felt it was worth it.

"How much have you been following the Ministry... Hunt and MacTail in particular? And have you heard anything about a underground group called the Syndicate and its leader Jacob Sullivan? I"m not looking for specifics... just trying to figure out how far back I need to fill you in for any of this to make sense."

As an after thought and on pure reflex Julian rolled up the sleeve of his jacket on his left arm far enough to show a myriad of leather bracelets and bands, pausing only to look up at Casey at the last moment. "Please don't freak out or anything. It's just a quick thing to keep the conversation between us. Just a rune." He waited for Casey's approval before triggering said rune.
Casey opened his mouth to respond only to close it again and try to get a closer look at his son's bracelets as he rolled his jacket sleeve up. In general, wizards kept their wands easily accessible, so Casey hadn't assumed that was what his son was going for. He was, therefore, a bit alarmed by the preface of his son asking him not to freak out. He nodded as Julian explained what the bracelets were for. Still, runes? It was a useful class at Hogwarts, but typically not someone's go-to for spells. Muffiliato would do the same, creating a buzzing noise in the ears of anyone trying to listen in. Perhaps this was subtler, or....

Had Trevor not bothered to teach him how to wield a wand? It would fit his MO of general paranoia. And it would have made a younger Julian feel accepted and important while still incapacitating him from being likely to defeat you or take you out. Julian had only wanted acceptance, had been so insecure, though Casey couldn't blame him for those feelings given everything that had happened to their family when he was young and again when he had just started Hogwarts. Still, Casey thought better of asking Julian. Making his son go on the defensive was likely not the best idea toward this being a productive conversation.

Once Julian had triggered the runes, Casey decided to answer his question. "I was able to get a copy of the Prophet while undercover, but I was recently found out. So, I know Williams abdicated a few months ago, put MacTail in charge along with Hunt, and...oh, saw your girlfriend in a picture once. Press conference. Which was admittedly odd, given everything you both claimed during your little interview." He glanced at his son to see how he reacted. "I also know not to trust the Prophet for reporting the truth in everything, given who's in charge."
Julian listened intently as Casey spoke. At least the man had a bit of knowledge as to what was going on and was still, at least as far as the younger man could tell, in the dark about other things. Teague's disappearance being the first and foremost thing to pop into his mind. If Casey hadn't figured it out that meant the polyjuice trick was still working. The mention of his "girlfriend" in being in the paper brought a small smirk to the Death Eater and he didn't change anything about what he was doing to indicate that was an issue that had slipped his mind. He could still use that to his advantage.

"It's not really a surprise you saw her and it's only odd because you still don't get that we're here to prevent our future from happening. When Trevor disappeared and put MacTail in charge we opted to make a move since you were AWOL and the Order is about as useless as ever. We needed a way to figure out what was going on and what the current state of the government was. It took a bit of creativity on our part but she's our new Press Secretary. It's given us ears where we needed them the most.

It's also how we've learned that Hunt isn't who he says he is. He's actually a man by the name of Jacob Sullivan and he runs an resistance group called the Syndicate. Not a big deal on it's own but it's what he's trying to do with that power he's got. He's not out to just get rid of the Death Eaters... he's been in talks with the muggles and their government and he intends to not only break the statute of secrecy, but shatter it until there's nothing left."

Jules watched out of the corner of his eye for Casey's reaction. That man if anything was good at hiding those. wit the information he'd just dropped it would be easy to see where he stood and how much of the man's trust he actually had. so far everything except the stuff about Hunt could be verified through a myriad of resources. If Casey asked for proof on Hunt that would be a little more tricky but still doable. It was nothing to forge a letter or note, or if needed Delilah, or "Teague" could easily get a hold of the documents Hunt had outlining the breaking of the statute.
Except for the fact the paper had declared Delilah, Teague, and this Hunt person had been appointed by Williams' letter. So either the Prophet was lying or his son was. Casey said nothing about this point as his son continued to expound on the knowledge they had gained from placing a man on the inside. Hunt was Sullivan? Bloody hell, he'd known the man was a bit off his hinges and had aspirations of an unknown nature when he'd refused to give Casey the Williams girls after successfully abducting them, but he hadn't imagined they'd been through directly joining the government. Had he used the girls as leverage to get Williams to abdicate? Was Williams now down with Sullivan's people working for him or somewhere far, far away? Evie wouldn't like this one bit, but it would be one way to push things along. People were getting antsy. She had to do so. Perhaps he and Ianto would have more numbers that they had even imagined.

Except...Wait? The Statute was in danger? Casey looked at his son, the fear evident in his blue eyes. Perhaps he and Ianto should hold back, only perhaps not. What if they were to team up with the government themselves? They could try to guide them to attack another place that would still hold impact but lead to little opportunity to leak out into the muggle world. Fodder for another time.

"Perhaps I should've let Evie do him in," Casey muttered. Hindsight was a bitch.
It was hard to read Casey as they walked. So far it seemed like he was taking in all the information and at the very least considering it. He hadn't thrown out any accusations about Delilah, or the Death Eaters, or Trevor so that had to be a good sign right. The younger man felt his stomach do a nervous flip. This was almost worse than infiltrating a known mutant camp... Still it seemed the man hadn't know about the statute and the fear in his eyes showed. It wasn't much but it was something and it was real. But what was more surprising was what Casey said.

"Let Evie kill who?" At first Julian thought the older man was referring to Trevor but that made no sense in the current conversation... which left Sullivan as the only person Casey could be talking about. Julian turned so that he was walking backwards and looked at Casey, eyes searching for any tick or indication that his dad knew more than he was letting on. "Dad who was Evie going to kill? Do you know Sullivan or have you dealt with the Syndicate before?"

If Casey really had, had dealings with Sullivan and the Syndicate then what the other Garou Soren was always with might have been onto something. If Casey and Sullivan were at odds it would mean Isis was a loose end that needed taking care of before he could move... if he had Teague and Trevor going up against Isis and the for all intents and purposes Winslow's that would leave him free to deal with everything else.
Casey didn't answer at first, figuring that his son was sorted into Ravenclaw for a reason. When he rephrased the question and added to it, he wondered if his son was simply needing verbal confirmation since the answer to his questions had been quite strongly implied. "I've met him," Casey replied, "even worked a deal with him, but he reneged. Your mum was furious, but I spared his life. If only for the sake of what I'd had him do." Casey's phrasing hopefully gave away he was not willing to go into detail regarding what he had worked out with Sullivan. He had no intention on letting his son know he had been behind the kidnapping of the Williams girls. He might not understand. Then again, he might. Casey wasn't certain which idea scared him more.

"How close is the Statute to breaking?" Casey asked, hoping his son would let the topic change slide but having a sinking feeling he probably wouldn't.
Julian swore under his breath. not only did Casey know who Sullivan was be he'd also worked with the man and had a chance to kill. So much of what was to come if only his dad would have had the guts to follow through. So much of what was happening could have been ended before it even had a chance to start. But what was the deal? Why had Casey felt the need to work them in the first place?

"Close enough that I reached out to you," Julian replied, choosing to field Casey's question, even though the burning question he wanted an answer to he didn't think his dad was going to give easily. Maybe he could make a play on the whole trust thing if Casey wouldn't give it freely.

"We know he's been working with the muggles in some aspects and we managed to get Del a meeting with on of the secret service guys from the muggle government. They've started experimenting dad. They've found a way copy our spells on their weapons, how to nullify areas into no magic zones. After that werewolf thing in London they know more about the creatures than they should. I don't know if they've started yet but in my time they managed to create creatures that appear human and are the walking embodiment of spells..."

"Something major is going to happen soon. The tension is so thick you can taste it and anything you can give me to help take him down I need. What did you have him do for you... or better yet what did Isis have him do for them?"
"Isis had him secure some leverage. Only, he kept it in the end." That was as much information as Casey was willing to give. "Not quite enough a reason to kill someone." Casey had only killed once before out of a battle situation, and he had no intention to repeat the experience. "Kill or be killed" had barely been reason enough, but then he'd thought of his pregnant wife, and what other choice had he had? He'd needed to meet his son and see this undercover mission through, and though an ally, the other had known it was going to happen the second Voldemort had chosen Casey to torture him. Casey had never told the Order or anyone. He'd not wanted to.

And yet the fact that this Sullivan was playing with fire, poking the hornet's nest? That angered Casey, if only for the well-instilled fear that muggles could be dangerous. He knew not all were. Lucy's family certainly hadn't been nor had the other muggle-borns he had known. But the idea of most muggle-borns being aware, the possibility of something major, the mention of experiments? If he could go back in time and change that moment, perhaps he would. But perhaps that's what Julian wanted for reasons unstated. With only words and no proof, there was no way Casey could simply jump and be a "yes man." Casey tried to relax his jaw.

"I don't know anything useful to lead you to him. The Duck and Dagger had a contact I used, but that was it. I haven't sought him out since."
Leverage? The younger man frowned at that. What kind of leverage would Isis have wanted? Jules remained silent for a good long while after that as his mind worked to put together all the pieces to the giant puzzle he had found himself in. He thought back to the conversation he’d be apart of with the Garou… the one had theorized that Sullivan had needed Trevor for something… Casey had now all but confirmed Isis had been involved in something and it had gone south, which meant whatever leverage Casey had been after had to have been high value to all parties involved and must have been desirable if the Syndicate hadn’t followed through.

It hit the Death Eater like a tonne of bricks as the pieces began to fall together. The Leverage Casey had been talking about was Trevor’s girls. Logically that could be the only high value thing that would totally benefit both groups. Julian knew the history between Williams and the Winslow's and that Evie was hell bent on getting her revenge or whatever the hell she justified it as. It wasn’t a far stretch to think Evie would have used the girls to lure Trevor out. Obviously then Sullivan would have seen the value and if he had the girls he could also draw Trevor out… which would explain how the bastard had weaseled his way into the Minister of Magic spot and why Trevor and Teague had went underground… Of course this was all hypothetical but way too many things were lining up for Julian to just dismiss it.

”You wanted his girls...” The words were out before Julian realized what he said. Damn it
Under a Cursed Moon (open)

“Ben,” he replied. Maybe if he closed his eyes […]

Wolf Out! Affiliation :)

Hey :) We need new affiliates since the tinypic cl[…]

Eben's Journal

(Content warning: graphic description of a burned […]

Early lunch

Eyes again. They weren’t the friendly blues of the[…]

AFFILIATES:

Use PHP in HTML files
RPG-D Relashio! Black Sun Rising