by: Niklaus Schmidt
3 March 2012
5:30 p.m.

Today had been a long day. Klaus had spent much of it with the wolf, Cedric, trying to get somewhere with him while Kat watched from off scene except when she hadn't. The other part, he'd spent trying to work on his part of the report he knew he would need to make so he could submit it by tomorrow, which meant his mind had attempted procrastination in any way it could. After all, the best work was done with a fire lit under his butt at the last minute just as had been the case during school. Sometimes, anyway. The main problem was that there was the little issue with Kat. She'd seemed out of it, different. Something had been off, and while first instinct had been to go to Jones to note the incident, part of him was conflicted. After all, he did like Kit Kat well enough. She was a thorn in his side, a kink in his style, but she still was an alright girl. He didn't want her to get into trouble, which she might if he went to Jones. However, they needed an understanding, and being a rat would only create a chasm in their fledgling little agenty partnership.

So, Klaus was standing by the doorway out to the elevators leading to the underground garage waiting for Kat now that they were off. He tried to look casual, leaning against the wall, but his eyes were alert and searching. They needed to talk, and he was not about to let her duck out on him. He'd take her to dinner or something. They could go dutch if it made her more comfortable. But they needed to talk sooner rather than later, and after they talked, he'd make a note about it in his journal where he wrote whenever the need arose. This mention would be necessary in case this became a recurring issue. If they couldn't reach a conclusion, he'd have no choice but to bring it up with Jones.

Seeing the blonde in the crowd, Klaus stood and walked toward her. "Oy, Kit Kat!"
by: Katarina Bauer
Katarina eyed her watch. It was almost half five, and she wanted to go home. After being the reluctant observer for the duration of Mr. McGarrett's interrogation, she vanished off somewhere beyond her desk, venturing between the w.c. and the lobby. For a moment she wanted to pace so she did, tracing her steps back and forth in a small, particular space. She didn't mind some of the awkward glances she'd been getting from some of the other wanderers; agents, assistants, reception and the like. She ignored them, letting their judgmental glares and whispers roll off like water over her back.

Somehow she felt that Klaus would come around, knocking on her cubicle "door" to interrogate hera about her little spell earlier. The thing was, she was not ready to talk about it. She wasn't even prepared to think about it, let alone discuss the situation with somewhat of a stranger. She trusted him about as far as she could throw him, but that was natural, considering she'd only known him for a brief minute before being thrown into the lair of wolves, so to speak.

Even though she'd come face to face with an actual beast, this strange and unusual man Cedric, Katarina wasn't thinking of him. No. She was more bothered by the apparition the sight of a man she hadn't seen in years, someone she thought long dead. Or, if not dead, then long gone at the very least.

Her head was throbbing.

Voices started to fill the hallways with idle chatter, various conversations about their days and what could be discussed from their cases. None of it made sense, however, but she let them pass, and she wandered through the sea of folks towards the elevators that lead toward her safe haven, her vehicle, her means of escape. She didn't seen Klaus or Agent Calloway around but that was mostly because she'd been so honed in on her departure, everything else around her was a blur.

She stood behind several talkative folks, waiting for the elevators when she heard her name. Her nickname that is. Her eyes shut and she immediately knew who it was, coming after her. Katarina sighed.

Damn. She thought.
"Oh, don't look so frustrated!" Klaus said in mock annoyance before returning to a more neutral tone. "Thought you might need a kick-back after today. So, what do you say? A little 'team building' over some food and drinks?" It was only once it was out that he realized his slight emphasis could make his statement become completely misconstrued. He gave no hint of it, however. She had to know that he wasn't interested in her, right? At least he hoped. Girls lead to entanglements Klaus wasn't interested in having in his life at the moment. Sure, she was pretty, but she was also his co-worker and partner and there was no reason to consider this angle. Especially when she was more than likely still too out of it to even catch the potentially problematic and entirely unintended double entendre.

Klaus, frankly, was dreading the likely no. He didn't want to have to turn this into a confrontation. Kat looked beat. He didn't want to put her through more emotional upset than necessary, but he needed to talk to her, and he would make it clear this was a necessity and not an option if he had to, but he'd much rather she come into it willingly. She wasn't stupid. Surely she realized this wasn't some casual invitation, but she hoped the casualness of his question made it clear he didn't want to make a huge deal out of everything. They just needed to talk.
Folks in her old department warned her about Agent Schmidt, but not to this extent. Katarina found it difficult not to give him that squinted, skeptical gaze as he approached, and it sounded like he was presenting a white flag. "Kick back? Team building?" She chortled, "Who are you and what have you done with Agent Schmidt?"

Katarina leaned over and pressed the call button not once, but about five times in rapid succession to get her point across. She wanted to get out of this conversation somehow, but the elevator didn't get the memo. Klaus seemed genuine in his offer, but after being put in place during his display of "bad cop" during the interrogation of Mr. McGarrett, she just wanted to take a beat, compose herself, and maybe return to speaking to him on her own terms. Yet, here she was, caught between a slow lift and the man with whom she'd been paired in this peculiar unit. She barely noticed that the others who had been waiting with her were gone; they'd either caught the lift that came just a moment ago and filled to capacity, or decided to descend the stairs. It was just her and Klaus now, save a few stragglers who were trickling through.

She'd been taught to beware of Greeks bearing gifts, but felt a teeny-tiny bit of generosity, and wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

"Dinner and drinks? What's your play, Klaus?" Kat tugged on the her open coat, shrugging it more comfortably over her shoulders, before slanting to one hip in her stance. "Is there a catch? Are you going to film it and tell me that you're going to blackmail me in front of Jones if I get too knackered? Are you going to force me into some little game if I say I'll go?" Perhaps she'd been pushing some buttons and maybe her own facetiousness was pushing this a little too far, but she wanted to see if he'd play into her snarky attitude. She was partnered with him for a reason, so she was going to try and dish it out to see what witty comebacks he had up his sleeve.
Klaus rolled his eyes as Kat pushed the button several times and leaned against the wall, one arm raised overhead and the forearm used for support. He smiled at her, "He's right here, but you can call 'im Klaus now he's off duty and all." Even if the childish maneuver had miraculously accomplished anything, she had to realize she wasn't escaping him that easily. The door close buttons didn't react very quickly, and he needed to go down, besides. Everyone parked in the garage. Unless they really loved walking because they were some sort of fitness nut or they really loved the good ol' double decker.

"Why are you always so tense, Kat?" Klaus asked, for once with a serious tone. "I mean, you're smart. You know this..." he motioned with his hand toward his face in a circular motion, "bravado is all a front. And besides, even if it wasn't, dammit, it should be pretty obvious I'm not out to get you. I'm your partner, for Chrissakes. Just have dinner and some drinks with me, yeah?"
"Fine. Klaus" Even as she said it, it didn't feel right. She'd been so used to addressing everyone formally and by their Agent status: Special Agent, Director, Agent, Inspector, etc... that using the informalities, off the clock or not, was still strange. Nevertheless, it showed just how different this unit was from her old position, and most certainly an interesting time with someone like Klaus at her side.

She couldn't help but snicker as he teased her further and even went as far as admitting that his bravado was just a front. It was rare for any of the men in her life, family or otherwise, to admit to such a thing, much less someone who oozed machismo and haughty air like it was his favorite pastime. "Well, thanks. At least someone here thinks so." Katarina smiled and shrugged at the compliment regarding her smarts. She took a beat to think it over, hoping and wishing the lift would arrive to give her the easy answer of Nope, sorry I have plans, but it sure was taking its time since the call. "Alright, what the hell...what could it hurt, right?"

His claws were "in" so to speak, and she took this as his olive branch after the whirlwind she'd been thrown into upon her transfer. Katarina was willing to give Klaus a shot, as she did want to get to know her new partner, after all.
Ding!

Klaus stepped forward habitually only to pause and motion Kat in before him with a typical Klaus flourish and was a little surprised she went in. He shrugged it off and stepped in behind her. He leaned against one of the sides Kat wasn't leaning against after glancing to make sure his button was pushed. "Where are we meeting?" he asked. He figured she'd want to drive independently at this point rather than leave her car here and be seen leaving with him or vice versa. He also figured if she picked the place they went, she'd feel a little more comfortable. While he acted the way he did outwardly, he did actually tend to care when it came to interpersonal relationships, particularly those which might affect his life, which admittedly revolved around his job.
“Your idea, so your pick.” Katarina placed the tip of her finger on her nose and pointed at him with her other hand. She’d seen some American tourists do this at the muggle pub she frequented and decided to test its use on Klaus since he seemed like the type to pull this action on her as well…that is, if he understood it. She felt silly, and just laughed as she stepped into the lift.
If this had been days before, or when she’d first met him, Katarina may have pressed every single button on the panel and slid out of the door before it took off. But things had changed. She surprised even herself that she was even giving him this amount of trust and camaraderie, since he’d treated her like quite the novice when she first arrived. “Any place sound good to you? I usually head over to the Abby to meet my brother and cousin for dinner and drinks but they’re out tonight. So it’s your call.”
Klaus shrugged. Honestly, he preferred not to bring anyone from work with him to his usual haunts. After all, he didn't need seeing a co-worker to throw him off his game. It was different with Matt. After all, he'd been a friend long before he'd been a co-worker. And goody two-shoes though he was, he wasn't going to do anything to get in the way of his friend's exploits. He'd ended up with a few butterfaces over the years thanks to beer goggles thanks to the fact Matt wasn't honestly going to stop him.

"Yeah?" he said after Kat spoke again. "I've been meaning to try out the Abby. Heard it's fairly happening despite the fact it used to be a church. God moved out, the devil in or something like that." He chuckled lightly. "But anyway, I don't suppose you want to visit your family's place with your partner, so..." Klaus pursed his lips and moved his head back and forth as he looked upward, trying to think of somewhere. "How about Alibi? A little nicer than a pub, but still has drinks?"
Katarina folded her arms. She wondered if Klaus would send a message or phone up Agent Calloway, who seemed rather down lately (unless that was just his nature), but unless she felt like messaging him herself, she would leave him alone for now. ”Something to that effect. Surprisingly not a whole lot of protestors out complaining about the location—actually I’m sure I’d seen a priest go in for a drink himself last time I was there, so there’s that then.” She snickered. It was the night she’d gone in with some of her friends, for a farewell party to someone in their squad, and the night she’d lost her badge. Huge mistake. Her old superior never let her hear the end of it.

She shrugged. ”Well, you have a point. I’m a regular there, so let’s try somewhere else first and if I decide you’re alright? Just maybe I’ll take you by the Abby.”
The last thing she needed was her brother and cousin to crash her the party, and start making trouble or tease her for being out alone with new, male company. They would one-hundred percent try to make her life hell about it, tease her, snoop on him and make it one-hundred percent awkward. ”Drinks are key, so Alibi it is. I’ll follow you?”

Katarina fetched the keys to her car from her purse and pushed the button to unlock her door. She waited for a confirmation from Klaus before getting in. She was still on-guard, unsure if he was just playing her up until now or if he was sincerely looking to unwind, just between co-workers of course. She half-expected a “haha, got you!” and his car speeding away into the street.
Klaus shook his head at Kat's comment about the possibility of taking him to the Abby. Admit it. You love me already, he thought, though he refrained from saying it aloud. For once, he bothered to think before he spoke. He did not want to put this little outing at risk. He needed to make sure that she was OK and they were on the same page. The full moon was coming up in a few days, and Klaus had no doubt Jones might want his partner around to make sure he didn't do anything rash with the prisoner. Or perhaps boss lady would surprise him and actually trust him to simply be ready should he break free of the holding cell they had prepared for that night.

"Yep!" was all Klaus said before he headed down a few feet to his Impala. He unlocked it and got in, listening as the engine purred to life with the turn of his key. He buckled in, reversed it, and then pulled out of his space before pausing to make sure Kat was ready to follow him. Once he was sure, he took off to the exit and turned left. A few minutes later, he pulled into a space outside Alibi and got out of his car before heading to the curb to wait for Kat. He'd even open the door for her, if she was nice.
She followed Klaus down the street and made it over to the pub, Alibi. Her car was a rental, a compact sedan that didn’t race through traffic quite as smoothly as the Impala he was driving, but she did a decent job of tracking him when he got far enough ahead. Kat pulled into the space beside his and threw it into park. She caught herself checking out her makeup in the mirror under the flap behind the driver shade, and stopped.

”What the heck are you doing, Kat?” She made fun of herself, and quickly shut it, hopefully before Klaus saw her and made fun of her for doing so. It wasn’t like this was a date, she realized. She agreed to drinks, strictly platonic visit between colleagues, that was all. It was a habit, she knew, since she checked her makeup before she left her vehicle for her shift, and after lunch. This was not one of those times.

Katarina tucked everything into her small purse, phone, wallet and badge, as well as some lipgloss, before turning to open her door, where Klaus was already standing there, waiting for her. ”Jeez…” She gasped, and waited for him to step back so she’d have enough space to open the door. Or perhaps, he would open it for her, like a good gentleman?
Klaus rose a brow at Kat's comment of "Jeez..." Well, what? Was he not supposed to be here at the door waiting for her when she was practically right behind him? Was he supposed to have gone in? Well, whatever. He was here and he was opening the darn door whether little miss apparently-feminist Kit Kat liked it or not. It was a nice gesture, not some leftover bit of chauvinism or whatever the feminists were saying these days. He knew she could bloody well open the door herself, but it was nice to simply walk through at times too. Most polite people held the door for the person after them.

Klaus let Kat go in first after opening the door and motioning for her to go first. "So, booth or bar?" he asked before realizing the booth was the only real option. The bar was pretty full, given the night of the week it was. He shook his head. "Well, never mind then. Booth it is. Pick your favorite." There were a couple booths open at least, he noticed after he said that. Thank goodness. Striking out once was bad enough. He waved to the pretty redhead behind the bar and gave her a wink. Tattoo in the... He stirred his mind from that thought. He wasn't here to carouse. He was here to make sure a colleague was OK so that their work wasn't affected.
”Booth.” She was hardly decisive when she was put on the spot, for trivial things that was. She had to be assertive when it came to work, but Katarina knew for a fact that she preferred booths over tables and rarely sat at the bar, unless she had to. ”It’s more private.” Though with that being said, she knew she couldn’t take it back. She didn’t mean to sound like a tease, she didn’t want to sound sexy in the least, but it was the truth. ”They’re quieter, I mean.” She didn’t want to give him the wrong idea. This was their first outing, after all, she didn’t want it to be their last.

She snickered when she realized the bar had literally zero space to sit or stand and so she pointed at one of the booths nearby. Far enough from the entrance and exit, and a decent distance to the bar. Katarina noticed his exchange with the redhead and she grinned as she started to make her way toward the booth. ”Seems like you’ve picked your favorite?” Kat chuckled.

”Hey, don’t let me stop you from doing what you do. By all means.”He’d invited her out, sure. But she knew the game, even if she’d been out of it for some time. She didn’t have room in her life for this. She told herself that, time and again. It was work and sleep, and when she could squeeze it in—time with her family. That was it. If Klaus was here for a snog or something more, and wanted that with Ms. Redhead, she wouldn’t stand in the way.

Kat took her seat and crossed her legs under the table, waving over at the waitress in hopes of putting in a drink order. Stat.

She needed it.
More private? Klaus rose a brow. Had Kat been Matt, Klaus would've given her hell. When she corrected herself, Klaus shook his head but followed. Of course, Kat happened to catch him and his little exchange with the redhead and he felt slightly embarrassed though he refused to show it. "Naw," he told her as he slid into the booth. "I'm here for you--not her." Kat could take that as she pleased. He wasn't about to go into his personal life and habits therein.

Klaus sat a few moments in silence. He didn't want to jump right into the, "So, I was wondering if everything was ok," bit as much as he might personally want to. He'd go for something a bit more neutral and make a bit of small talk. Of course, not knowing as much about his newer partner as he might want, he would start with something they shared in common. (And hey, maybe he could get this covered as a bit of a team building exercise.) "How're you liking work?" he asked, figuring blurting out the MI5 bit might not be wise even in a busy place such as this.
Under a Cursed Moon (open)

“Ben,” he replied. Maybe if he closed his eyes […]

Wolf Out! Affiliation :)

Hey :) We need new affiliates since the tinypic cl[…]

Eben's Journal

(Content warning: graphic description of a burned […]

Early lunch

Eyes again. They weren’t the friendly blues of the[…]

AFFILIATES:

Use PHP in HTML files
RPG-D Relashio! Black Sun Rising