by: Dru Windsor
Saturday
27 April 2012
The Snake Pit
9:15 p.m.

"The house wins."

God, she hated that phrase. She forfeited the bet to the pot and threw down her hand. After that loss, she needed a break, so she retreated to the bar. It'd been a long time since Dru got outta the house, and of all places she could go, she ended up at the Snake Pit? It was just that too, a god damn pit, a creepy little dive bar that ran plenty of games under the government radars, but she didn’t care. She could apparate the hell out of here if things went south.

Teague said he liked this place so she would grin and bear it for him, since he was high profile now, he probably wouldn't want to be seen in a swanky club or bar. The drinks were decently priced at least, so that softened the blow. Dru wasn't too high maintenance in that regard, either. She loved her dark rum, and she could drink it straight, but tonight she opted for some dark soda on the rocks with it too. She hadn't had any sugar this weekend so she'd treat herself. Her main concern now was that her owl reached Puxley, without being intercepted. Not that she had anything to hide, she just wanted to make sure the message was delivered and that she didn't waste the time in this dive any more than she needed to.

Dru took the seat at the end of the bar and just watched everyone. The bartender was balding but he was in denial, as she could see the patch of his scalp over his well-teased mop. He was chatting up some redhead on the other end of the bar, who was wearing a low-cut top to show off her fake set of...ugh. Dru rolled her eyes as she took another sip of her drink. The man sitting about three seats over was almost falling asleep in his glass. She'd keep an eye on him, in case anyone tried anything on him, like take his wallet or try to beat up the poor old fop.

That was the trouble being small-town in the capital. She had to keep her defenses high and strangers at arms length. Her residence in Aldergrove was peaceful, and for a second she missed it but she'd be back soon enough, especially if work was going to call him away or something was to come up, or if it just naturally resolved into a time for them to part ways. Dru just thought it would be good to see him, regardless.
Last edited by Kay on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by: Teague MacTail
The owl from Dru had officially been the best part of his day. He'd been top side about a week after Delilah had wrangled a crew and pull off one hell of an unexpected rescue and after an exceptionally busy week getting caught up with all the unholy thing government needed him for and figuring out a plan of action the weekend and its unexpected downtime had come as quite a shock to the tracker. Normally he lived for the quiet life, but now that he had time to just sit and process what had happened since he'd gone underground, Teague decided he didn't like it. He was not ready to deal with all the shit that had gone down or the fallout of the memories Jake had unlocked. Thankfully a lovely owl brought a welcome distraction.

So here he was, standing outside probably one of the more seedier bars he had a tendency to visit when he didn't want to be found and a place he definitely considered a home away from home. Never mind it was located in Belfast and that certainly was home. He was dressed in a simple well worn pair of jeans and a sweater, over top of which was an old and well worn brown leather jacket. Teague took a few seconds to fall into his normal "I could care less about the world" mode, not wanting to turn this unexpected visit into something depressing (he'd have enough time later to worry about things) and walked down the stairs and into the place.

It was a breath of fresh air so to speak. A dive back into the familiar. A place where he didn't have to be a Lord of anything, where he could just be himself for the most part. A lazy grin made its way onto his face as the hum of the crowd made its way to his ears. The sound of money being passed around, cards hitting the tables, cussing, drinking... oh bloody hell he missed this. He let his eyes scan the room in hopes of picking out the woman he was supposed to be meeting, and when his gaze fell on her sitting at the end of the bar his grin widened and he made his way over and slid up to take the seat next to her.

"Long time no see lass. Good to hear from ya." Teague paused a beat to flag down the bar tender, putting in an order for a whisky on the rocks and 2 shots of something good. He then turned his attention back to Dru. "How ya doing these days?"
Dru was about to pull herself up off her stool when she saw a couple of men start to mess with the drunkard a few stools down, but they walked away, bumped off and away by someone who was approaching her. It was the man of the hour. Her face lit up into a full smile, which was rather rare these days. Seeing Teague was so refreshing since she didn't know any of the bloody lot in this bar, let alone this city. As much as she appreciated Belfast, she still felt like a tourist here, a visitor. An outsider, as she was. That, and she far preferred her village. In Aldergrove, there weren't too many people there, not too many people came around looking for her either.

So here they were, two people who knew each other from a lifetime ago, reunited in the dark, smoky room, filled with gamblers, drunkards, and many more. If she was more of a touchy-feely sort of emotional gal, she might have thrown her arms around him, but she settled for reaching out to put her arm up and around his shoulders to give him a light squeeze. It was more of a friendly gesture, or one you'd get from a comrade. Indeed, this man was considered a friend, and her only friend at that.

"As I live and breathe." Dru responded, still smiling. "I can't complain too much, other than the boredom." She chuckled, taking a sip of her rum and cola. She was already feeling the heat of her drink, but she left her dark coat over her shoulders for now. When she turned toward him, she pulled the length of her hair to one side, letting it drape over her shoulder. "I'm surprised you got my message, MacTail...oh no wait--what should I be calling you now? Oh yes...Almighty Dark Lord, innit?" Dru laughed, not wasting any time to give him a hard time and he hadn't been there but a minute. She kept her voice low in case there were any eavesdroppers, but from what she was able to scope from before, there were no threats present.

Nevertheless, Dru hoped he wouldn't take offense by her calling him by such a title, but if she remembered Teague MacTail as she knew him before...he wouldn't like that one bit.
Teague let out an easy laugh when Dru draped an arm over his shoulders. It had always been interesting to the tracker how some friendships could last the test of time while others dwindled away into nothing. He hadn't seen Dru since around the beginning of the takeover, yet right now with the whole minute they'd interacted, he felt as if they'd never been apart. It was probably stupid to trust that she didn't have some sort of secret agenda or an ulterior motive. If anything the past couple of months should have enforced that friends were just people ready to turn on you at when it suited their best interest. But right now for the sake of a relaxing night out, Teague pushed that worry to the back of his mind.

"Aye, wish I could say I was drowning in boredom." Heh, never thought I'd live to see the day I'd willing say that. No sooner than he finished speaking the bartender had returned with his drink and two shots of who knew the hell what. Teague gave a nod to the bartender at his query to start a tab and then pushed one of the two shots toward Dru and resisted the urge to sigh and glare at her use of that gods forsaken title. He picked up his own shot and held it up to her with a grin instead. "Lets say for tonight, you take that shot, you let me buy a couple rounds, forget that I'm Lord of anything and just call me Teague like you know, most normal people?" He left it as an open ended question but if Dru continued to push that particular button he had no qualms about walking out. He got enough of that garbage with everyone else and he did not want it to ruin what could be a perfectly good night.
Ahh, that laugh... Dru grinned. She hadn't heard that in some time, though she felt as if it was just yesterday they were joking and drinking. It was another time and another bar, but the people were the same; two friends friends brought together by common interest, common demeanor, and common attitude toward their fellow colleagues. The way he smiled, the way he held himself, and even the way he talked was all the same. "Oh come now, you don't want the boring life. I know you." He was a tracker, from a family of them too, and they thrived on action. It was hard to picture him doing what she was doing now, being retired and out of the game, living in a small village by a lake, away from people and most of modern civilization. No, actually, it amused her to think of Teague in a quiet setting. It might actually suit him better than she gave him credit for.

Still, it was comforting to know that she could apparate to anywhere she wanted to if she did get tired of that quiet living.

Her green eyes fell on the Lord with a raised brow, but as she studied him further, she realized he was quite serious. Any other night, Dru might have chosen to poke at that beast further, but her goal wasn't to push the man away. It'd been far too long as it was and she didn't want to miss the opportunity to talk with her old friend. With a smirk, she picked up the shot he'd offered and held it up. Dru nodded. "Very well. Teague." She clinked her shot glass against his. "What sort of woman would I be to turn that sort of offer down?" The eyebrow was raised again, but just a flicker as she smiled. Dru threw her shot back in one go and set the glass down, mouth down, on the bar to claim her victory on the first round.

"Whew. Good stuff." She said softly, turning slightly to face Teague. It was still so surreal to be seeing him here, as if Dru couldn't believe he accepted her invitation.
Of course he didn't want the boring life. Merlin if there was anything that would drive Teague, and anyone he associated with for that matter, insane boredom would be it. That was definitely something the tracker didn't handle well. "Course not, tried the retired thing once and it didn't work out to well. Something about driving people insane..." He laughed at that mostly because it was true. Teague knew without a doubt he was at his most aggravating when he was bored.

Seemed though that Dru took his hint about dropping the title well and when she clinked her shot against his he downed it in a smooth motion, savoring the moment before setting the empty glass down once finished. Merlin that felt good. "Good stuff is right," he echoed. Whatever it was it had a nice bite to it. Teague took a moment to settle down comfortably, arms crossed so he could lean comfortably against the counter top. "Gotta say yer owl was a welcome surprise. What brought that on though? And no you can't cop out and used the "you missed my lovely charm and good looks" line. It's been what, 2 years now?

"But it's true?" She chuckled at his snap comment about missing his charms. "Alright, fine. Well, yes it has been a couple of years now, wow. Where has the time gone?" It was so cliche to say, but they had to get all of those phrases out of the way to get to the real heart of their conversation. After two years, it was difficult not to pull out some small talk to break through the ice once more.

"I dunno, you tell me what's going on, seeing as I'm the one with the boring life now--" She held her hand up as a bit of a peace offering, "I promise you this will be the last I mention it, and I won't even call you by that title or whatever. I just so happen to catch wind of a change of personnel and it surprised me to see your name there, right where I never thought you'd be."

Dru took another sip of her soda and rum, "At least give me that, as I'm a little behind on such affairs. And then we move on to better things." She made eyes at him, batting those dark lashes over her evergreen eyes. It was almost jokingly, because she knew for one thing that Teague would see through that act really quickly. Still, Dru figured it didn't hurt to try.
Last edited by Kay on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teague rolled his eyes and grinned at her display of trying to charm the information out of him. Somethings just never changed. He wanted to tell her she'd have to do better than some girly lash blinking if she wanted to pry the info out of him but at the last second caught himself and opted for a more straight forward answer hoping that this would be the end of it.

"Ya well can't exactly say it was my first or last choice for an occupational change. Was more a damned if you do, double damned if you didn't sort of thing thanks to that stupid git. Worst 4ish months of my god damn life." He let out a soft laugh at that and took a good swig of his drink. Bitter much? And it was like nothing had changed since returning topside. "I'm not meant to be chained to a desk." He was almost certain Dru would have questions and want more in depth answers, but that was something Teague wasn't about to offer up on a whim. There was to much behind the scenes stuff going on and certain things and people were just better left in the dark until he could be certain which side of the line they fell on.

"No...no you're not. Which is why you might understand why I'm so surprised. Not only to see you because I know that comes with a rather heavy burden and a hell of a workload -- but that you took it in the first place? I guess I had to just hear it for myself, mate." Dru gently pat him on the arm and sat back, stretching some, before she relaxed into a comfortable position and faced him again. "Am I even able to ask what happened?" Shit. She did say she'd stop her line of questioning, didn't she?

"OK look. If you don't want to explain the details, I won't pry." Or maybe she'd ask again later, when they had a few.

"Anything else new in your life then, aside from the..." She waved her hand, going for gesture instead of mentioning anything because well, she'd promised. Dru took another drink. "All of that. Any new friends... enemies... lovers?" It was like one soldier talking to another with these two. Her inquiry probably prodded on another sensitive topic with Teague but as she realized before, it'd take a minute to figure out the proper flow between them. The "taboo" list had some room, but if it filled up quickly, they might run out of things to talk about. "Okay enemies I'm sure goes with the territory, but the others? How much has changed for you in two years, Teague?"

To Dru, two years of being friendless and somewhat of a hermit? Socializing was hard.
"Yea well no one was more surprised than me, except for maybe Del but safe to say we got blind sided by it." Teague reached up to rub the back of his neck with a free hand and shook his head at her continued line of questioning. Personal. It was hard not to sigh but he resisted. He thought back to a time before everything went down, where he would have just rambled out some pieced together story on the fly and called it a day, but for whatever reason tonight he was getting hung up on them slightly. Still, if Dru thought he was going to offer anything up that easy she was going to be disappointed.

He shifted his weight so if was fully on his left arm and angled his body slightly so he could somewhat face her. "New in my life? Kinda a loaded question ain't it?" He was messing with her and a wry smile worked its way onto his face. "What's new...hmmm well the group I'm still with doesn't really do the friend thing so nothing to exciting there, considering my position I got more enemies than I can rightly count, and lovers? Only if you count the one night pickups." Teague let out a laugh at that even though he didn't really get any joy out of the quip. Maybe he did need to get laid, unwind...wasn't like he was attached to anyone and he had no idea where he stood with Cora.

"Lot's has changed with the takeover lass, but I think we've talked enough about me for a while. How about you. What's got you out and about? Trevor took over and you all but disappeared? Can't tell me you've been enjoying the retired life this whole time?"

"Del?" More eyebrows being raised. Dru thought there might be a whole lot of that tonight, and she was right. "Delilah Chase. So she's still there with you at least. Damn. And here I thought might have forgotten about lil ol' me that you'd just discard the owl altogether..." if you have the company of Delilah... she wanted to add, but Dru wasn't feeling as feisty as she wanted to be. Not enough alcohol and not enough time around Teague to make sure he wasn't just going to bolt at the first chance he had to get up from his damn stool. She didn't want the old man to run away ("old man" only because he was a few years her senior, not that she had a problem with their age difference). "One night pickups," She echoed, with an impressed nod. Dru chuckled. "So then, not much hasn't changed in that department."

Except she thought he was taken by some other woman...what was her name? She was Irish too, wasn't she? Dru couldn't remember just now...but if and when the memory struck she might think to ask. For now, she let the conversation flow with Teague steering the boat, and he moved on to try and push the volley into her court. She took another sip and thought carefully as he finished his inquiry. The takeover by Williams wasn't something she enjoyed, but she endured it for the months she was in service. It was a good thing they weren't like regular street gangs with the mentality of 'if you're in, you're in, and there's no way out'. They allowed her to retire and for that she was at least grateful. "I'm not much for the danse macabre...er...the political arena, MacTail, you know that as much as I do. Williams took over and it seemed like it was meeting after meeting after--who was blowing who and all that intrigue just...lost my interest. At least there was a way out, no one beating me with soap in a pillowcase, or trying to stab me in the back. I stole away to Ireland and never looked back."

Another two drinks of the rum & cola and she was going to be finished with that first round, so she thought for a moment if she wanted that or something else. Dru swirled the ice and the remaining liquid in the glass before shrugging. "Where I live now isn't too bad. Population of a hundred and some change--and not a lot of gossip or any of that bollocks. It's nice. I get a lot of reading done--and I fish whenever I feel like it. I can cast if I want practice, meditate and train... But as you might guess, kind of a drag." It was like betraying her village to admit that but Dru wouldn't lie to Teague. She needed balance, which is why Belfast was a nice contrast to Aldergrove.
Dru's response to his mention of Del got her a slightly raised brow. If she'd been as out of the loop as she said she was she wouldn't know of Chase outside of what the press stated about the press secretary. The comment about Chase still being with him had the tracker wondering if they'd crossed paths before... It was entirely possible, Chase and the Winslow brat had been around a while before Trevor had abdicated... interesting. He made a mental note to ask Del the next time he saw her. The words that followed though did well to put him in a good mood. If she didn't think he'd changed all that much and was still the skirt chaser he'd been know as before being saddled with the Lordship that was perfectly fine by him.

Dru's reasons for leaving shortly after Trevor took over was something Teague could understand. The Williams reign was vastly different from when Voldemort had been roaming about. While there were still resistances to put down and people to enslave the political dance had moved itself to the forefront of things. Words ruled, and it was always about whom could scratch who's back and who's toes didn't need stepping on... a dance he was quickly learning on the job. Thank Merlin he had Delilah to help point him somewhat in the right direction and keep him sane. There was no doubt in his mind that without her the current government would be dead in the water and more than likely under Sullivan's control.

Seemed like Dru had done well for herself though, in spite of everything that had gone down. Cut and run at the right time, though if he was a betting man he'd wager, based off her comment about things being a drag, she was suffering from itchy feet.

"Well can't fault ya at all for Cutting loose when you did. Least you got to avoid all this political garbage. And believe me it's still garbage. So and so needs his back scratch and so and so needs this signed, and so and so is throwing a tantrum because he's not getting his way. You aren't missing much aside from the joy of watching people squirm when you catch them in a lie. For some reason politicians seem to fall apart." He paused and took another sip of his drink before continuing. "Sounds like you got yerself a nice spot though. Shame to see itchy feet pull ya away from it."

Cutting loose... well, that had been part of it. After Jonathan died, all was lost. Not for her parents, because they were happy to see him go, but she hurt for quite some time after that loss, to where things became so unbearable...she decided to leave. She may not ever admit that to anyone, though. Her ex-husband was a strong supporter of the Order of the Phoenix, sworn enemies caused by bad blood between generations before and nothing more. Dru loved and missed her husband...and was sad to hear he had died.

Dru couldn't help but laugh when Teague mentioned she'd hadn't missed out on much. The Death Eaters were a consistent lot, and even when personnel changed, the agenda generally did not. "Ugh," She almost wanted to gag, but she just laughed instead as she raised a finger to the bartender, and she signalled to grab a couple more shots of whatever the hell Teague ordered earlier.

"Sounds like I'm missing the party then, innit?" Dru shook her head, running her hand through her hair again. "I dunno. I was thinking maybe it's time I take a peek back into 'the life', you know? Get my feet wet again...unless you think it's a bad idea?"
"Don't know if I'd go as far as ta call it a party but it's been interesting. If politics drove you away before you won't find too much different now except for different leadership I guess and a few need to know things. But if you did want to get yer feet wet again I wouldn't complain. be nice to get an outsiders perspective so to speak and I don't get the feeling yer out to screw me in someway." Teague smirked at that. If she was expecting full on trust right out of the gate it wasn't going to happen, though the tracker was smart enough not to say it straight to her face. She'd been out of the fold for two years so logically it would make sense she'd have to work her way up through the ranks again, and he trusted Dru to realize that without having to spell it out for her. Besides, it wasn't just him she'd need to prove herself to, but Del and Julian and the few others that knew what was really going on.

"All things aside if ya really did want back in I got some things that need looking into that would benefit from a skill set such as yours. We can chat about that later though if you really are interested and not just messing with me." Teague took another sip of his drink and watched as Dru called for another round. Perfect. "Don't feel like you need to decide no either. Things are about to heat up and you should make sure this is something you really want casue if you want in you'll be in for the long haul."

"Screw you?" Dru snickered, "Please, you'd have to buy me dinner first." It was a teasing comment at best. They were friends, and nothing more. It wasn't to say that Dru wasn't attracted to Teague MacTail, she was still reeling off of her late husband to even care about relationships. Not to mention, he could do far better than someone like her. "At any rate, I think your new management might make the politics tolerable, even though I'd probably just gag in the background every time I hear someone grovel, which will be all the time."

But then her mind lingered on something he'd said. He wanted someone with her skillset? True, she had a way about fighting that wasn't so damn clouded by the emotional attachment of politics or even any relationship. She'd been raised to forget about all of that when she was in the field. Dru was often used for her methods of shadow walking and sword wielding. She was efficient, at least, and she prided herself on that. Did he really consider things if she wanted to go back? Did she really want back in? She did open the door by mentioning she might want to get her feet wet again, but the thought of coming out of retirement...Truth be told, Dru had given that some thought, but she actually didn't think she'd be allowed back into the ranks. It was a different time, though, when she figured Williams was still at its helm and not her old friend Teague. It was funny he'd mention something like this to her now, when it was only her intention to meet up with an old friend, bullshit about how awful his new position was and then move on to something like cards and drinking the night away in this dimly-lit dive...but Dru's interests were definitely piqued. She chuckled softly, barely a huff, but before she could say anything, the bartender stopped in front of her and raised his eyebrows. It was only slightly as not to offend her, but he was impressed she'd downed her shot and drank her rum and cola in a short period of time--and now she was heading in for more? He nodded as he pulled up another tumbler.

"Hold the cola." She said to him.

"Coming up." He put a large ice cube in the center of the rocks glass and poured in a blend of two different rums over it until it was about half full, and slid it over to her. "Anything else?" He looked at Teague this time, and he'd get him a replacement if need be, other than that he'd step away again to tend to the other patrons.

After another stiff sip which was just pure alcohol now, Dru pursed her lips as she held it on her tongue. She swallowed down the rum and she sighed. "See, Teague you say things like long haul and things heating up--you can't expect that I not ask questions. Am I allowed to know what's going on before I dive face first into the concrete?" Dru would give her current stance, her thoughts on the matter, but she wanted to see how far she could press him before opening that door.
Under a Cursed Moon (open)

“Ben,” he replied. Maybe if he closed his eyes […]

Wolf Out! Affiliation :)

Hey :) We need new affiliates since the tinypic cl[…]

Eben's Journal

(Content warning: graphic description of a burned […]

Early lunch

Eyes again. They weren’t the friendly blues of the[…]

AFFILIATES:

Use PHP in HTML files
RPG-D Relashio! Black Sun Rising